Mar 4, 2010

Fresh Bake Goods

    I awoke early this morning to the smells of fresh bake goods. It was lovely, as if I was sitting in the back room of an Italian kitchen and the doe was still rising. I slid out of bed, gathered some thing to wear, and ventured down stairs.
    Not knowing what to eat I decided to go get a donut. The smells of the morning had set my taste buds on edge and I needed to fulfill them. Just down the street from my home was a bakery that always had the freshest goodies in the morning and this is where I went. Being a nice day I walked the several blocks and opened the bell rung door. “Wish”, out came the fresh smells. As I moved toward the counter, I smiled at the older folks sitting at the tables. They all looked at me strangely, one even pointed with a glair. I found this strange, but being the youngest in the room, I thought it was just my presents in their world.
   I looked in the display case and saw the perfect donut. I pointed and asked if I could have “that one.” The rather short woman paused and said, “Are you sure?” Without question I answered, “Yes” and moved on. I paid for the morsel and moved toward the exit. As I walked between the tables the old folks where snickering to each other, I think about me. I thought to myself, I hope I am never like that.
    Once outside I looked up, it was nice out today, but windy. I walked quickly into the wind toward my street. On the way several people waved their hellos and I returned the jester. I opened the door to my home and the bag of deliciousness as well. The donut was enjoyable, every last bite, but now it was time to get out in the world of work. I wondered around the house for a few moments and found all that I needed to start the work day.
    The smells of my breakfast where still in the air. Taking one look back, contemplating once again, I moved out to my car. Pulling the door open, and sliding the key in to the ignition, I sat and tried to adjust myself. I could not get comfortable today. I twisted, turned, but still nothing. Maybe it was the heat in the car from the sun. Time to go, I thought. As I backed out of the driveway I noticed some crumbs on the seat. It looked like donut. I grabbed the crumbs I could and tossed them out the window.
    My drive was quick today. No red lights, not slow drivers, and a parking place right in front of the building. Hopping out I found myself excited to be at work. The door opened and, there it was again, fresh cooking dough, again. This time the smell was stronger then ever. Distracted by this I did not say hi to most of my co-workers on the way in. All I could think about was food. As I punched in a new person I had never met before stopped me. He looked at me, paused, and said “let me help you with that.” He reached over to my right shoulder and returned with a pile or crumbs, donut crumbs.
    This baffled me, because I could not have gotten crumbs up there. I went into the bathroom. As I looked up in the mirror, I was shocked. Staring back at me was my face, sitting atop of a big round plan still steaming hot donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment