Mar 8, 2010

Tires and Lug Nuts

About a week or so ago I noticed that my car was making strange noises. At first I thought nothing of it, but the noises grew stranger and somewhat louder. The first arose on my way to my girlfriend’s house. The rear of the car was making a rapping sound. Not too loud, but still there. Every time I took a corner it got a little louder. As I sped up it went away. This worried me because my car has a lot of miles on it, and right now I don't want to nor can afford to buy another. When arriving at my destination I took a look around the car and saw nothing wrong. A little perplexed I went on with my day.
    Several days later a different noise popped from the rear. To be honest this sounded like little kids laughing and a chain dragging all at the same time. Once again I stopped and looked at the end of the car and saw no change in the condition. This time I took note of the weather and how I was driving, thinking that might tell me something in the future.
    The next time I heard a noise I had a witness. My girlfriend was in the car and heard it too. A clank and a ring, like a bell rung to hard. This happened every time we stopped the car. I played it off as something in the trunk, but in the back of my head I just hoped my car was not going to crap out.
    I put up with different noises for a week or more. They came and went, but never got all that bad. This evening was a little different however. I left work in a rush and did not think to take the time to warm up the engine. As I pulled out of the parking lot it began; RAP, RAP! The faster I went the louder it was. I slowed and so did the sound. “Shit” I thought, my car is a finished, it’s going to fall to pieces right on the road.
    I drove slow just hoping to get home. It was Wednesday and I had worked several 18 hour shifts earlier in the week. I was just tired and wanted to get to a bed. As I focused on the road I began to wonder if I should be driving at all. My eyes began to playing tricks on me. I thought I saw something in my back window, maybe a biker crossing the road or something? It was nighttime and I was sleep deprived and now stressed over this car problem. I kept going and again saw a shape in the rear window.
    This time I had to check. I pulled over and opened the rear hatch, nothing. I was loosing my mind. All I wanted was a pillow at this point. Hopping back into my car I heard that laughing again, except this time my radio was not on and the car was not running. I was not that far out of my gourd, or was I? I felt like I was on a bad trip of something. I’m hearing laughing, rapping, thumping, yep I’ve lost it. Sleep deprivation was better then the best drugs. I was starting to hear and see things. I was moving into my own little wonderland. Thinking this made it easier when I seemed to see and hear more things on the journey home.
    As I rounded the last corner onto my street this somewhat fun strangeness turned to hell. First the rapping started again, second a wobble in the rear of my car, and then a CRASH sparks and my car was dragging on the road. As I slammed to a stop and looked around I saw my tire roll by. It had come right off the car, rim and all. I sat and gathered my thoughts for a moment.
    Getting out of the car was hard with my body being so tired. I turned my head to the left; yep the tire had come right off the diver’s side rear. I poked my head back in to get a flashlight when a pain shot into my head. It felt like something had struck me. Throbbing, pulsing, and then cold liquid ran into my eye. I wiped it and found blood, the dark kind that runs from a deep wound. My eyes started getting heavy and I could not hold my body up. I slumped onto the seat of the car with light in hand and started to fade. I had to stay awake. What happened? In the attempt to get up I rolled over, there was something in my line of sight. It was a strange shape and looked almost like a small person. I tried to focus, my eyes fighting to close.
    I closed one eye, hoping that would help. I could almost make it out. A little man, I think. All in proportion, just 12 inches tall. In his hand was my tire iron, covered in, I would guess my blood, and lug nuts on each finger. He snatched one off with his teeth and crunched. The last thing I remember is the evil smile and laugh that come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment